Sunday, 26 April 2009

What I did with the rest of the jeans ...

Posted by Picasa

... I made a whole load of embroidered bags - using the tops of the jeans , recycling the zips to use on the tops - and plaiting the seams to make straps and belts for the bags - not a scrap wasted - everything upcyled!!

Denim Rag Quilt

Posted by Picasa

This quilt is made from several pairs of jeans and is a new technique to me - the edges are raw and then frayed. they did fray really well in the washing machine - the only down side being it broke my machine by clogging the filter and flooding my kitchen! my husband had to take it apart and clean out the i don't think i'll be making another in a hurry - although i do like the effect and it makes an excellent throw.

Saturday, 18 April 2009

Mod quilt finished too!

Finished the quilting and binding - again I have used the multi coloured binding, my favourite. It brings out all the colours of the quilt.


Surprisingly I like the back loads more than I thought initially when I pieced it - the quilting in the cream thread really makes it so much more interesting


In the general stipple pattern, which I am still practicing, I have quilted hearts, flowers, stars and words that are hidden - overall I’m pleased with the result.
Posted by Picasa

mod quilt ready to quilt


oh dear - a bit of unpicking required! - forgot to put the presser foot down

Posted by Picasa

colour wheel finished!!

Even if I do say so myself – this quilt is rather lovely!! It’s bright and fresh and while it’s not perfect (as with each project I learn a few techniques and "what not to do’s") I still think it is pleasing to the eye and makes me smile - which is what I aim to achieve. All in all I am glad I’ve made it…

I only wish I had prewashed my fabric as I imagine that those reds will run even in a cold wash….ah well we shall see … and of course if it does I might have to make another one – what a shame ;-)

My high points are the multicoloured binding which picks out the colours in the wheel as it comes round - and I’m particularly pleased with the blue mitred corner.

Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, 15 April 2009

mod quilt back

back of mod quilt - see here for front - i used 5 of the blocks rather than 6 and some darker beige than i have used before. its basted with pins but i think i may add a few more to be sure?

Posted by Picasa

Monday, 13 April 2009

Next steps for the colour wheel quilt

Colour wheel nearly finished quilting – I just felt in the mood to quilt and this was waiting to go. I so much prefer my new approach of waiting till I feel like doing something it makes the whole process more enjoyable. I am really pleased with how it turned out – although the sewing in the centre is a little busy. I did think about only quilting every other line to the centre – but then I realised I had left 3 coloured strips so had to go back to the original quilting pattern. I will quilt straight lines round the edges and then I am already thinking of multicoloured strip binding – like I did on this quilt. I think that will really pull out all the colours and still not be too uniform and regimented. Feeling pleased with the results so far…..

Posted by Picasa

Saturday, 11 April 2009

small purse finished

update - click on the candy wrapper link below or in the sidebar to see other photos of candy wrapper craft

side one


side 2


and that pesky zip

Posted by Picasa

this was the original idea with a row of writing


still not sure about the colours?......

what not to do when your tired


Posted by Picasa

Looking lovely – pleased with myself after trying a new technique – that is, sewing in the zip on the first chain rather than construct the purse and then sew in the zip to finish – all is going along great – 2nd row attached. Couldn’t decided whether to have the multi colour or the writing (see the inside of the purse and earlier post photos of the strips) – this is how I had folded the pieces with the idea of having a row of writing mixed in with the silver. However as usual, it changed during the making phase and I decided on the colourful side –

Feeling like it's progressing well – glad I sewed in the zip first (don’t know why I didn’t think of it before?) - Went to join the third row – School Boy Error!! I had sewn the 2nd row upside down (see the 2nd photo) – what can I say? I was tired!! And then felt rather deflated. More decisions – undo the zip (which I had sewn in so it wouldn’t move no matter what) – or remove the 2nd row? After much umming and aaahing I ripped out the zip and started to put it back in the other way up – only I decided that I really was too tired – so it’s a work in progress... it’s not the same redoing something when you have had to start again –I could have easily finished the purse without that set back …. Still I won’t make that mistake again [no really ;-)]

Friday, 10 April 2009

Candy wrappers in progress

update - click on the candy wrapper link below or in the sidebar to see other photos of candy wrapper craft


Posted by Picasa

I think I will make a multi coloured bag and some small silver purses - I think with a row of printed writing so that it is clear what the purse is made of....